Thursday, April 30, 2009

Decoupage an Old Fashioned Bottle

I wanted to share something with you guys that's easy, cheap, and the results are super! So I made a distressed leather-looking bottle from a regular plastic bottle. Here's the finished product:

Here's where I started. Find any bottle. Plastic or glass, big or small.

Here's where it gets easy. Just wrap it in masking tape. Don't stress yourself out about "puckers" or the angle. If it starts going the wrong way on you, just rip it off and continue wrapping at a different angle.

When you're done wrapping it in masking tape, distress it with some shoe polish. This gives it an old fashioned leather look. I used a mixture of black and brown shoe polish. Just keep rubbing and adding the shoe polish until you have reached your desired effect. Then mod podge over the top! There is no need to mod podge underneath because the masking tape is self sticking. You can also just water down glue-all or wood glue, and paint it over the top with an old paint brush. The shoe polish may try to resist the mod podge a little bit, but stick with it. It works out :-) I also painted the lid to the bottle black with some acrylic paint.

Voila! An old fashioned leatherized bottle coming your way! I think it would make a great gift for a guy. Like a diy father's day gift. You could also just use it to package homemade gifts. Like home-made vanilla or something. I think this would be a really great craft to do with a wine bottle, but I just didn't have the time to do a big bottle.

8 comments:

onegirliegirl said...

That is waaayyy cool! Now I have father day ideas that I think my older kids could do :)

Thanks for the easy tutorial!

xoxo ~Lisa

Xazmin said...

I love it! I'm thinking of using shoe polish to antique my chest...what do you think?

michelle said...

Great technique! Now I"m sad I'm going out of town this weekend, and won't be able to participate in your Monthly Powwow! I'll try to Sunday when I get back home!

Dawn said...

That's really cute! Great job!

Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

Heidi Boos said...

You're too funny! You really did want to join in the fun didn't you? Well, at least you're pretty good at thinking on your toes! ;)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Fabulous idea. (And then did you feed the baby a little Johnny Walker and strained peas....?
:)

Katie said...

I'd say this is a great project considering it was a think on your feet one!

Tanielle said...

I love that! So cool, and looks awesome! Have a great night!